Tuesday 25 September 2012

Jill Scott: Covers October Essence Magazine!! 60 pound weight loss, Fabulous at 40 & more!!


Jill Scott shows off her natural hair in the October 2012 issue of Essence magazine and muses on turning 40, her various hairstyles, and why she ‘gets’ reality shows like Love & Hip-hop – her favorite.

On turning 40: “The light came on when I turned 40. I didn’t know that I couldn’t see, but now I can and I’ hoping that the light continues. Forty is f—ing fabulous. I feel like there is a certain level of authority that I have now that I didn’t have before. I like being this grown-up woman.”

On working on Lifetime’s Steele Magnolia remake: “I would have catered. That’s how much I wanted to work with this cast.”

On the anger displayed on reality shows: “I understand wanting to punch someone in the mouth and I’ve done it. [Years ago a man groped her at spring break and she responded with lip-splitting right hook]. I don’t know if he was drunk or high but he touched me and I let him have it. I do believe there are times when you need to take it to the streets. That said, if you’re not fighting for your life, your dignity or your honor, you might want to try to solve the problem gracefully or just walk away.”

On why she sometimes wears a hijab when she goes out: “I’m someone who needs desperately to be invisible sometimes.”

On rocking the short do’: “[My hair] is the simplest expression of myself. I look in the mirror and it’s like, Hey, there you go, what’s up, girl? For me hair is an accoutrement. Hair is jewelry. It’s an accessory. Tomorrow I may want a wig down to my butt and I’m gonna rock it, and the next day I may want a big Afro and I’m gonna rock that too.”

On her 60-pound weight loss: “Am I ready to be outside ain a bikini? Possibly never. But I am comfortable naked now an that’s a lot. I lost my grandmother a few years ago and shes normally where I would go for comfort. I’d go to her and she would make me something to eat, and we’d sit and talk and I’d be better. I just have to find healthier ways to appease myself.”
Check out the rest of Jill’s shoot below and be sure to pick up your copy of Essence for more from Jill.










Thanks for reading guys!

Love,

-N.Roachford 


No comments:

Post a Comment